May 30, 2012

Checking In

I had such a great day yesterday. Really got to do a lot of thinking about my own emotions and what might be holding me back. My main concern is staying grounded while giving myself permission to also fall in love, if things should go that way. Staying true to myself while getting to know another person -- without taking on too much of the other person's interests or activities and unknowingly sacrificing my own, or letting my insecurities start to sabotage things before they even take flight. It was good to acknowledge that I've worked hard to get grounded and feel really solid in my own life, and don't want to fall into any sort of unhealthy pattern that could undue that, and that it will take some careful diligence on my part. My friends never could believe the hot mess I became in just a few short years of dating the Nurse...and I'll be damned if I'd allow that to ever happen again. And I have to take responsibility for it myself, because I know what I'm capable of and how easy it is to fall down a rabbit hole and get completely lost, even to myself. But when I look in the mirror today, I know who I am and what I want and I love the person who looks back at me. I don't ever want to lose that woman again. I deserve love...but the price cannot be the soul-debt that I have already paid. I've fought too hard to reclaim my life and get back on solid ground.
I believe that balance is possible, and I'm actually feeling that the pace so far is giving us a good chance to achieve it. It's going to be really important for me to strive every day for equilibrium and check in with myself — so that I can feel both secure in myself and ready to give love freely. I mean, I could have just summed this whole blog post up by quoting Rupal, right? "If you don't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?"

No comments: